Skip to main content

PowerShift

I want to share with you a quote I heard at a panel during Powershift.

"The system is broken" The woman who was facilitating spoke.
"Broken for us, or broken for them? It's not so broken for them"
This was the response of a meek young coal miner from appalachia.

Sometimes it is impossible to pinpoint what it is we mean by them. Them the Koch Brothers, them the fossil fuel companies, them the wasteful american consumers. While these definitions of them can be hard to pinpoint at times, I want to focus on a different form of 'them'. Them the coal miners forced into poverty wages, them the Chicago father trying to make a living at McDonalds, them the humans on this planet struggling to live in shifting ecologies and economies. 

I had the privilege of sitting in on a panel to hear the voices of some of 'them' at Powershift this year. It was a panel on capitalism and climate injustice. The panel was composed of five guests: Nick Mullens, a 4th generation coal miner, TR McKenzie a deep advocate for native american rights, Dina Dewalt a college advocate, Aaron Foster, and father from chicago working two minimum wage jobs to support his family, and Ron Collins, from Los Angeles, who worked tirelessly to increase bus service in his city.

The panel was asked how capitalism plays a role in climate. Nick Mullens, A pleasantly meek young man from Appalachia chimed in. He spoke of his options graduating high school. He knew what he would have to do long before that point of graduation though. He would be a coal miner. He would be a coal miner like his dad-- his grandfather, and his father before him. Nick never had much of a choice of what job he would get in his town, because there was only one job: coal mining. It was here that he worked for low wages, it was here he endured the risk of 'black lung' associated with mining, and it was here he had to fight for the coal company to exist--because it was the only job he had. Then he said something that stuck with me throughout Powershift. "We have a system that perpetuates a necessity to live".

This quote stayed in my head as we marched across one of Pittsburgh's famous bridges in protest of dirty energy. As we started our way across the bridge I lowered my head as we passed another group of protesters. Coal workers protesting for 'clean coal'. The coal company had the audacity to barge in a monstrous ship of unburned coal. The pile of coal on that ship had to have been 50 feet wide, by 6 feet high. It was as if they were taunting us; a cared for hostage on board. "We could burn this" it felt like they were saying. Atop this coal mound was the audacious banner "Welcome to Coal Country".

But as I looked across at that coal, and to the coal workers protesting across the river from us, I did not feel anger. Instead I thought of this dichotomy between us and them. An older woman spoke on stage and apologized for what her generation had done to us, but she added a caveat "It wasn't me. I didn't do this, but I apologize for what my generation has done". But this was only a half-truth. A convenient but false attempt to be completely dichotomous. But the truth is that she wasn't completely innocent. In some ways, the coal miners across the street were more honest with themselves than she was. We all were guilty of using the coal these miners were working to protect. And we all will until we can secure a transition from fossil fuels to renewable. But we also all want and need a safe earth to live on. The coal miners across the street weren't being completely honest with themselves either that their future was safe in the hands of the coal industry. If anything, the river between us was the most truthful voice in the two protests. The coal miners were advocating for the reality that we are dependent on coal, and we were advocating for a future of renewables. But the present situation exists somewhere in the space between us both. By acknowledging truths that are uncomfortable, we can meet somewhere in the middle.

At Powershift, there was a deep sense of community. Of working together. Of building a better world. It was a refreshing breath of fresh air to see so many people working towards a new future. It is this sense of community I left with from Powershift. This sense of encapsulating community power. At that place, in that moment, it did not matter your religion, age, race, sex, gender, or lack thereof. All that mattered was that you wanted to be there, fighting. At Powershift, there was no us and them, and I hope I can take that encapsulating power into the Madison community. So that we can all be one, fighting--not against each other, but for a livable planet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Argument Against Sociology Being a Bullshit Study

So, as a Sociology major I have (perhaps inevitably) come across people who have voiced their opinions on why sociology is a crock, convoluted, an unacceptable method for conducting science, and not a valid (impractical) study. I hope to address these issues and give a thorough defense of my field, for (obviously) if I had no defense, I should not be a sociology major. I do completely welcome criticism and comments to what I write, and in fact I would love some. I thoroughly believe that the best analysis is derived from discussion and (logical) argumentation. I have put in  bold  the main points since I realize many of you probably do not want to read my god-knows-how-long argument.  SO on with it. I guess I will address the different arguments I have come across one by one Sociology is not credible because it borrows from so many other fields .  Indeed, Sociology is extremely interdisciplinary, but I think the complexity is what makes it so grand. We could limit Sociology b

My problems with the strong is the new skinny campaign

When the 'strong is the new skinny' campaign first started, I was pretty excited about it. The first article I saw was a woman who used to be what she considered anorexic. She said she was weak, and barely ate. She fell in love with weight lifting, and said it gave her confidence, strength and courage. She explained how before lifting she was taught to deprive herself, to lack confidence in her body, and be weak. After lifting she felt proud of her new strength, could eat (and was supposed to eat) more, and felt a sense of progress towards muscle, versus progress towards being smaller. She posted new photos of herself showing she didn't look much different (she didn't 'get huge'). Her photos though were fairly normal looking. She probably had a healthy 10-20% body fat, and you could tell she had some solid muscle. Her muscle, however, wasn't rippling out of her skin, and it isn't supposed to be. There are two main types of weight training I want to tal

A 15 minute exercise for anxiety or depression.

As your hands fumble across countless sites of self-help and coping, this post might have come up. I know the feeling. The feeling of your head being a electric sarcophagus. Of so many negative thoughts and feelings ripping through you like a tornado. You can't concentrate. You can't eat. Living is surviving. First, I want you to know that it gets better. It always gets better. Nothing can stay the same. Next I want you to know that everything takes time, but this method will change your relationship with your feelings instantly. The problem with anxiety and depression is often the pink elephant syndrome. Right now I want you to NOT think about pink elephants . Don't do it. If you do something terrible will happen. What are you thinking about? Pink Elephants? Really? Stop doing it. Just stop. Jesus get a hold of yourself. It's an easy task, just stop thinking about pink elephants! Not very effective huh? But this is the tactic us people