Skip to main content

How to help a loved one who is struggling with an episode of mental illness

When someone you love is struggling with an episode of mental illness, it can be hard to know what to do. Here are some things that most people in an episode like this will appreciate. And moreover, it will remind them that they have people that are wonderful and beautiful in their lives who care about them.

1. Remind them that you love them, exactly as they are in this moment. And you think that they are brave, courageous, and you think more of them for having the willpower to struggle through it.

When an episode hits, we don't feel like ourselves. We feel broken, and that makes us want to change it even more. But the more you struggle to change how you feel, the more trapped you become. Accepting yourself exactly how you are is so important for coping with an episode of depression or anxiety. The best thing you can tell them is that you think the world of them for going through it and you love them for who they are, and having an episode doesn't change that.

2. Make them food and bring it to their house.

It is hard enough in an episode to go to work, and do the daily necessities. Many times other things fall by the wasteside. There just isn't enough energy to get it all done. That energy has already been expended with fear, dread, sadness and worry. But we also don't like knowing that we're letting that part of ourselves slip. It can be a huge help to have someone get some food to bring to the house. I know I tend to rely on microwave meals during those times. When I'm anxious, it's really hard to eat. See, your body is in fight or flight mode, so you are nauseous about eating, and you're basically shitting out everything you eat anyways (anxiety poops, it's a thing). Liquids are easier though, so ensure, milkshakes, and oatmeal are easier to get through and eat. You can also bring them some tasty greasy food, since they probably need the calories at the moment anyways and the tastiness of the food might entice them.

3. While you're there, clean up the house a little. Do the dishes etc. 

This is easier if it is a partner, or roommate, but you can try with a friend too (you just don't want them to feel deficient). A messy house can be a reminder to someone in an episode that they aren't feeling normal. Tidying up (even if it is their mess) can help their mindset and make them feel less crazy.

4. Text them, as frequently as you are willing, to just say hi.

Asking how someone is doing is okay, but it can also make them wallow in how they're feeling. However it's nice to check in. I like to ask people, on a scale of 1 - 10 where 1 is really bad, and 10 is good/normal/feel like yourself, what's your number. And then daily I ask their number. Just a simple, "hello, thinking about you" can be a bright spot in their day.

5. Ask them what emotions they are feeling in the moment, then give them a hug.

It can be hugely helpful to have someone ask you how you are feeling. We are dragging around so many negative feelings and trying to act normal, that to just be real for a minute is really relieving. It's important that you say you want to know the emotions, not all the worrying, depressing thoughts, because it can quickly get into wallowing. Ask what emotions they are feeling. Offer them a hug and say that you know they'll cry and that's the point. Tell them you want them to get it all out. Many times we'll stifle our tears because we don't believe we have permission. But don't get us wrong, a big hug cry probably sounds amazing to anyone struggling. Try not to get too sad if they cry really hard, it's that emotion coming out and it will make them feel better.

6. Ask them to come on a walk with you.

Walks help a lot of people who are struggling. It gets them out of the house, where they associate some negative emotions. It gets their body moving which can help release a buildup of stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline. The movement and conversation can be distracting. Make sure to point out pretty flowers or peculiar things. This can really help them focus on the outside world a bit. There's also some research to support that just being in nature can boost mood levels.

7. Try a little cognitive behavioral therapy with them

If they are open to it, this can be a great approach to someone who likes to wallow and look to you for reassurance. Ask them what emotion they are feeling. Then, ask them what thoughts are driving that emotion. What's the thought replaying in their head over and over? From there, ask for an exhaustive list of the evidence they have to support that thought. Then, ask them for an exhaustive list of evidence they have that is contradictory (proves the thought is not true). Finally, ask them to come up with some more realistic thoughts. It's important that you make them come up with the positive thoughts themselves. You can help, and maybe you can go back and forth creating positive thoughts, but they have to do it too.

Here's what this might look like

What are you feeling?
sad, scared, hopeless

What are you thinking?
I'm afraid my depression is going to come back, I can feel it and I don't want it to happen.

What evidence do you have to support that?
I feel it in my body. Last time I felt this way I got depressed.

What evidence do you have that goes against that theory?
I have felt this before and it didn't get that bad.

What are some more neutral or realistic thoughts?
I can't tell what the future holds, so I have no way to know if it will get worse.
I have enough to focus on in the moment, so I don't need to focus on that too.

Going though an episode of anxiety or depression is taxing and difficult, but knowing you're not alone can go a long way. In some of my worst times, I've also seen the most beauty in people who were willing to be there for me. It gives my life meaning in a way I would never have had without anxiety or depression. Be that beauty for someone else :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Argument Against Sociology Being a Bullshit Study

So, as a Sociology major I have (perhaps inevitably) come across people who have voiced their opinions on why sociology is a crock, convoluted, an unacceptable method for conducting science, and not a valid (impractical) study. I hope to address these issues and give a thorough defense of my field, for (obviously) if I had no defense, I should not be a sociology major. I do completely welcome criticism and comments to what I write, and in fact I would love some. I thoroughly believe that the best analysis is derived from discussion and (logical) argumentation. I have put in  bold  the main points since I realize many of you probably do not want to read my god-knows-how-long argument.  SO on with it. I guess I will address the different arguments I have come across one by one Sociology is not credible because it borrows from so many other fields .  Indeed, Sociology is extremely interdisciplinary, but I think the complexity is what makes it so grand. We could limit Sociology b

My problems with the strong is the new skinny campaign

When the 'strong is the new skinny' campaign first started, I was pretty excited about it. The first article I saw was a woman who used to be what she considered anorexic. She said she was weak, and barely ate. She fell in love with weight lifting, and said it gave her confidence, strength and courage. She explained how before lifting she was taught to deprive herself, to lack confidence in her body, and be weak. After lifting she felt proud of her new strength, could eat (and was supposed to eat) more, and felt a sense of progress towards muscle, versus progress towards being smaller. She posted new photos of herself showing she didn't look much different (she didn't 'get huge'). Her photos though were fairly normal looking. She probably had a healthy 10-20% body fat, and you could tell she had some solid muscle. Her muscle, however, wasn't rippling out of her skin, and it isn't supposed to be. There are two main types of weight training I want to tal

A 15 minute exercise for anxiety or depression.

As your hands fumble across countless sites of self-help and coping, this post might have come up. I know the feeling. The feeling of your head being a electric sarcophagus. Of so many negative thoughts and feelings ripping through you like a tornado. You can't concentrate. You can't eat. Living is surviving. First, I want you to know that it gets better. It always gets better. Nothing can stay the same. Next I want you to know that everything takes time, but this method will change your relationship with your feelings instantly. The problem with anxiety and depression is often the pink elephant syndrome. Right now I want you to NOT think about pink elephants . Don't do it. If you do something terrible will happen. What are you thinking about? Pink Elephants? Really? Stop doing it. Just stop. Jesus get a hold of yourself. It's an easy task, just stop thinking about pink elephants! Not very effective huh? But this is the tactic us people